Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Winston Churchill Quotes

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
Sir Winston Churchill

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
Sir Winston Churchill

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
Sir Winston Churchill

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."
Sir Winston Churchill

"The reserve of modern assertions is sometimes pushed to extremes, in which the fear of being contradicted leads the writer to strip himself of almost all sense and meaning."
Sir Winston Churchill

"When I am abroad, I always make it a rule never to criticize or attack the government of my own country. I make up for lost time when I come home."
Sir Winston Churchill

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Sir Winston Churchill

"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."
Sir Winston Churchill

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
Sir Winston Churchill

"One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb."
Sir Winston Churchill

"For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else."
Sir Winston Churchill

"It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required."
Sir Winston Churchill

"I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."
Sir Winston Churchill

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
Sir Winston Churchill

"I am reminded of the professor who, in his declining hours, was asked by his devoted pupils for his final counsel. He replied, 'Verify your quotations.'"
Sir Winston Churchill

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."
Sir Winston Churchill

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
Sir Winston Churchill

"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."
Sir Winston Churchill

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
Sir Winston Churchill

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Sir Winston Churchill

"The power of man has grown in every sphere, except over himself."
Sir Winston Churchill

I gather, young man, that you wish to be a Member of Parliament. The first lesson that you must learn is, when I call for statistics about the rate of infant mortality, what I want is proof that fewer babies died when I was Prime Minister than when anyone else was Prime Minister. That is a political statistic.
Sir Winston Churchill

For my part, I consider that it will be found much better by all parties to leave the past to history, especially as I propose to write that history myself.
Sir Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great quotes! Here is one for your collection:

To imrove is to change,
To be perfect is to change often.

Sir Winston Churchill

Namarie,
Sir Richard

P.S. if you didn't notice, I posted something on your post 'The Pain of Desire'