Thursday, February 7, 2008

Yes, I'm Still Here

Sorry it's been so long, folks! After we landed in the US and got over jetlag, we still didn't have an internet connection, so we haven't been able to keep up with anything over the web. It's been awfully hectic around here lately. In fact, when I sat down to work on my blog, I heard Enya and was refreshed. I haven't heard Enya in two weeks and, since I was introduced to her, that's the longest I've ever lived without her:) Anyway, I am back now, and trying to catch up on everything. To all of you who have sent me comments or e-mails this week, thanks for being so patient.

One of the best things I have done since I got to the US was to go to a bookstore, where I found a book of the complete works of Emily Dickinson. I was amazed to find how much poetry she actually wrote! There are 1782 poems in this book! I also learned that in my old Emily Dickinson book, her original punctuation, spelling, capitalization, and even some rhyme, had been changed, as was once an accepted way to publish Emily Dickinson poetry. Although the original poems are a little more confusing sometimes, I much prefer them to the "doctored" poetry. How audacious of them to CHANGE her poems!

Here's one of my favorites from the new book, with the original spelling, puctuation and capitalization:

"To fight aloud is very brave,
But gallanter, I know
Who charge within the bosom
The Calvary of Wo -

Who win, and nations to do not see -
Who fall, and none observe -
Whose dying eyes, no Country
Regards with patriot love -

We trust, in plumed procession
For such, the Angels go -
Rank after Rank, with even feet -
And Uniforms of snow."
-Emily Dickinson

Seize The Day!
-StrongJoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember how hectic it was a couple years ago when my family moved into a new house three miles from where we used to live. I can't imagine what it must be like to move from a different country!

You've inspired me to do some Emily Dickinson reading tonight. I too have her complete works!

Have a blessed day,
Mandy

Unknown said...

Good to see you back! What a change of culture (from UK to USA)!

You have much to catch-up with, and new things to connect with.

I must go back to my tree again,
To that lovely tree where I cried.
And all I ask is a whispering breeze
And a serene cerulean sky.

And the rustle of leaves, and the creak of the boughs,
And the grit that clings to the bark;
And the grooves of ancient forget- me- nots
The tinder for memory's spark.

To rest once again in utter peace
In those gnarled and knotted limbs,
To drift in blissful transcendence
And to make my peace with him.


Peace! ~ Peter